Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Something about this dress...



The Aurora Dress

…reminds me of a rooftop party on a warm night. After an afternoon in the sun, I’ve donned this garment and suddenly all the promises of the night are held in my hands. Climbing up the last flight of stairs, I let go of my skirt, letting it billow behind me as I approach the gathering. A tall handsome man appears in front of me, a glass of champagne in hand. He offers it to me; his lilting accent I find charming. I have become very aware of the triangle-shaped cutout of my bodice. He leans closer in, and – Oh, my! Are you still reading this?! I better, uh… get back to the dress.


Australian cult-favorite label Bless’ed are the Meek have nailed it with this dress. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Everything about it. It’s flowing, yet commanding. Its tough, dominatrix bodice is tempered with a peach so vulnerable and feminine that the juxtaposition has a very emotional quality to it. That’s what impresses me most about this up-and-coming group of designers—they are infusing fashion with a psychological twist. Using pattern to play with the eye, their collection is full of double meanings and innuendo, like their playful interpretation of the Rorschach ink blot test, below.


Dali Skirt

For Bless'ed are the Meek, what isn't there is as important as what is-- like this daring number:

The Entity Dress - Winter 2011
Bless'ed's mission is to “push the boundaries of meekdom”. One of their goals was to keep prices modest so that they could clothe the average twenty-something woman-- while maintaining a status at Australian Fashion Week. Do you think they succeed in achieving their goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment