Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blooming Tea


A cool night encroaches
as a warm afternoon fades.
Hot tea blossoming

Um... exactly what is it about tea that compels me to write haikus? I don't think I'm alone here-- for centuries Japanese Zen monks have been writing haikus in what I can only imagine was a tea-induced euphoric state. Are its heady aromas and sweetness responsible for lulling us into a meditative trance? Could it be the caffeine? Or maybe, in the hectic world we inhabit, it's the ritual of drinking tea that gives us a moment of pause, a breath of respite from our busy day, that allows us to reflect and-- for those inclined toward things nerdy-- jot down a haiku. Whatever it is, the ceremony of tea is something that's become quite engrained in me over the last few years. I'd like to consider myself something of a tea connoisseur-- a master sommelier of the brewed beverage, if you will. To me, there is the perfect tea for each time of day-- a brisk green or black tea for breakfast, a smooth roobois to complement lunch, a cool mint tea in the afternoon, maybe an invigorating yerba mate to banish those late-afternoon lulls, a soothing herbal infusion at bedtime. And then, there are some teas so delicious and subtle in flavor that I would reserve them for special occasions. One such tea is Numi's Enchanted Blossoms-- hand-sewn tea leaves and flowers that bloom when steeped. Each box contains six distinct flowers; my favorites are Sunset Oolong (oolong and lily petals release notes of peach and slight nuttiness) and Golden Jasmine (hints of chocolate? You had me at hello!). With its beautiful presentation, this tea really adds ambience to your table, plus your guests will think that you have impeccable taste, and really, why else does one throw a tea party? You can get the most out of your fancy-ass tea by steeping it as many as three times-- the second and third batches are nice when served cold. It's also a great gift for the tea-lover! I recommend it wholeheartedly! 

What about you-- do you have a ritual when it comes to tea? Would you consider yourself a "connoisseur" like myself :-P?



No comments:

Post a Comment